Sunshine Emulsified Sugar Scrub Recipe
If you have never tried an emulsified sugar scrub, you are in for a real treat. Ordinary sugar scrubs made from oils and sugar leave you feeling greasy and your tub slippery (not to mention dangerous!). Emulsified scrubs rinse away, leaving you soft and moisturized and your tub clean. The magic ingredient in this scrub is Emulsifying Wax, NF, an emulsifier that allows oil and water to form a stable mixture. It’s a common ingredient in many lotions, and cannot be substituted with beeswax. When the water from your shower meets the oils and butters in this scrub, the Emulsifying Wax forms an instant lotion that feels so luxurious.
This is an anhydrous formula meaning it does not contain any water. Anhydrous products do not require the use of a preservative because they are not prone to bacterial contamination. This formula does contain a preservative and it is highly recommended that you do use a preservative in this scrub because it will be exposed to water in the shower.
This scrub is formulated with a rich blend of avocado oil, cocoa butter and mango butter. It makes a thick, rich scrub that is perfect for dry winter skin. The invigorating blend of Litsea cubeba and sweet orange essential oils are sure to perk up your morning shower!
- Difficulty: Beginner
- Yield: 5 x 8 oz Jars
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Perform Time: 1 Hour
- Total Time: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
- Digital Scale
- Stand Mixer or Handheld Mixer
- Stand Mixer Bowl or Other Heat Proof Mixing Bowl
- 1-2 Quart Saucepan
- Spray Bottle with 70% Isopropyl Alcohol
- Pipettes for Preservatives and Essential Oils
- Paper Towels
- Stovetop or Portable Burner
- 5 x 8 oz Plastic Jars
- 5 x Black Dome Jar Lids
- 4.2 oz / 120 g (20%) Cocoa Butter, cut into chunks
- 2.1 oz / 60 g (10%) Mango Butter
- 2.1 oz / 60 g (10%) Cetyl Alcohol (Note: For an alcohol free scrub, simply replace Cetyl Alcohol with an additional 60 g of Mango Butter)
- 2.1 oz / 60 g (10%) Emulsifying Wax
- 9.3 oz / 264 g (44%) Avocado Oil
- 0.4 oz / 12 g (2%) Sweet Orange Essential Oil
- 0.2 oz / 6 g (1%) Litsea Cubeba Essential Oil
- 0.2 oz / 6 g (1%) Germaben II Preservative or Optiphen Plus Perservative
- 21.2 oz / 600 g (100%) Sugar
Before starting this tutorial please make sure to read all instructions. Spray work surface, utensils and mixing bowl with 70% isopropyl alcohol and wipe with paper towels. Use caution when handling heated oils. Use disposable pipets when dispensing essential oils. Do not place undiluted essential oils in plastic ware. Carefully weigh all ingredients before you start working.
Fill saucepan with 1-2 inches of water and bring to a simmer on stovetop.
Step 1 – Make Scrub Base
Combine cocoa butter, mango butter, cetyl alcohol (or additional mango butter) , avocado oil and emulsifying wax in the bowl of a stand mixer or other heatproof bowl.
Place bowl on top of saucepan with simmering water. Allow mixture to fully melt, stirring with spatula occasionally. Once fully melted, heat for 20 minutes.
Remove from heat and place in freezer. Remove when a “crust” has formed, about 20 min.
Step 2 – Whip Scrub
Whip scrub base at high speed until fully thickened and cooled, about 10 min. The mixture will form very soft peaks.
Add essential oils and preservative. Mix briefly.
Step 3 – Fold in Sugar
Using spatula, gently fold in the sugar.
Divide scrub evenly into jars. Label and enjoy! For cleanup, wash all dishes with hot, soapy water. Alternatively, use the dishwasher with appropriate detergent.
SHARE ON SOCIAL MEDIA