How to Make Orange and Rosemary Conditioner Bars
Conditioner bars are the perfect way to make traveling simpler and reduce plastic waste! These bars are enriched with nourishing coconut oil and cocoa butter and hydrating glycerin to moisturize your hair, leaving it shiny and soft. The Natural Hair Conditioner Flakes are easy to melt and make a hard, long-lasting bar that leaves your hair conditioned and easy to comb. Conditioner bars are great for all types of hair and so easy to use. Simply swipe the bar across your shampooed hair once or twice for light conditioning, or several times for deeper conditioning. Because they are bar-shaped, it’s so easy to target the ends of your hair!
This recipe makes 200g of conditioner bar base. Choose a mold that has rounded edges and fits nicely in the palm of your hand. This recipe is very concentrated and makes a long-lasting bar, so it is not necessary to make bars any larger than about 3.5oz (100g).
- Difficulty: Easy
- Yield: 3 x 2.36 oz / 67 g Bars
- Prep Time / Clean Up: 15 Minutes
- Perform Time: 15 Minutes
- Cooling Time: 25 Minutes
- Total Time: 55 Minutes, 30 Minutes Active Time
- Digital Scale
- 1-2 qt Saucepan
- Spatula or Spoon
- Spray Bottle w/ 70% Isopropyl Alcohol
- Funnel Pitcher
- Pipettes (for preservative and essential oil)
- Stick Blender
- Stovetop or Portable Burner
- Silicone or Plastic Mold (with individual cavities)
- 3.8 oz / 108 g Natural Hair Conditioner Flakes (62%)
- 0.53 oz / 15 g Cocoa Butter, cut into chunks (8.6%)
- 0.53 oz / 15 g Coconut Oil (8.6%)
- 0.71 oz / 20 g Stearic Acid (11.5%)
- 0.35 oz / 10 g Glycerin (5.7%)
- 0.11 oz / 3 g Sweet Orange Essential Oil, about 2ml (1.7%)
- 0.04 oz / 1 g Rosemary Essential Oil, about 1ml (0.6%)
- 0.071 oz / 2 g Germaben II Preservative, about 2ml (1.1%)
Before starting this tutorial please make sure to read all instructions. Spray work surface, utensils and mixing bowl with 70% isopropyl alcohol and wipe with paper towels. Use caution when handling heated oils. Use disposable pipets when dispensing essential oils. Do not place undiluted essential oils in plastic ware. Carefully weigh all ingredients before you start working.
Place wire rack in the bottom of saucepan and fill with 1-2 inches of water. Bring to a simmer on stovetop.
Step 1 – Melt the oils and conditioner
Combine the Natural Hair Conditioner Flakes, coconut oil, cocoa butter, stearic acid, and glycerin in a funnel pitcher. Place in saucepan of simmering water. Heat, stirring occasionally, until fully melted, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 60 seconds.
Step 2 – Mold the bars
Stir in the germaben II and the essential oils.
Pour into molds. The bars set up quickly, so work fast.
Tip: For easier pouring, place the molds directly in the freezer to pour. This way you won’t spill.
Freeze until solid, about 25 minutes. When set, remove the bars from the molds. Your conditioner bars are ready to use!
To clean up, wash all dishes with hot, soapy water. Alternatively, run through the dishwasher with appropriate detergent.
SHARE ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Share this tutorial on Facebook
Tweet about this tutorial