How to Make Lavender Shea Hand Lotion
A perfect hand cream should be light, but rich and very hydrating. This lotion is made with nourishing shea butter, and jojoba oil and is scented with sweet, herbal lavender 40/42 essential oil. The shea butter gives this cream a little thickness and makes it so moisturizing. Glycerin and sodium lactate are used in this recipe as humectants to hydrate the skin. Cyclomethicone is a light silicone oil that gives this lotion a luxurious glide. Feel free to substitute it with additional jojoba oil in the heated oil phase.
This recipe is emulsified with emulsifying wax, NF – it’s the ingredient that allows the oil and the water to form a stable, emulsified mixture. You cannot substitute beeswax in this recipe. Germaben II is used as a preservative. You must include a preservative in all body products that contain water to prevent bacterial and fungal contamination.
- Difficulty: Intermediate
- Yield: 4 x 4 oz Bottles
- Prep Time / Clean Up: 15 Minutes
- Perform Time: 1 Hour
- Total Time: 1 Hour, 15 Minutes
- Digital Scale
- Digital Thermometer
- Immersion Blender
- 2 x Funnel Pitchers
- Large Pot or Skillet
- Wire Rack (to fit inside pot)
- Spray Bottle w/ 70% Isopropyl Alcohol
- Pipettes (for preservative and essential oil)
- Paper Towels
- Stovetop or Portable Burner
- Disposable Piping Bag or Zip Top Bag
- 4 x 4 oz Clear Plastic Cosmo Oval Bottles
- 4 x Disc Caps
Heated Oil Ingredients
- 0.53 oz / 15 g Shea Butter (5%)
- 1.32 oz / 37.5 g Jojoba Oil (12.5%)
- 0.63 oz / 18 g Emulsifying Wax (6%)
- 0.32 oz / 9 g Stearic Acid (3%)
Heated Aqueous Ingredients
- 0.63 oz / 18 g Glycerin (6%) (available at pharmacies)
- 0.21 oz / 6 g Sodium Lactate 60% (2%)
- 1.1 oz / 30 g Aloe Vera Juice (10%) (available in pharmacies, use unsweetened juice)
- 5.2 oz / 148.5 g Distilled or Deionized Water (49.5%)
Cool Down Ingredients
- 0.21 oz / 6 g Lavender 40/42 Essential Oil (2%)
- 0.21 oz / 6 g Cyclomethicone (2%)
- 0.1 oz / 3 g Germaben II Preservative (1%)
- 0.1 oz / 3 g Natural Vitamin E (1%)
Before starting this tutorial please make sure to read all instructions. Spray work surface, utensils and funnel pitchers with 70% isopropyl alcohol and wipe with paper towels. Use caution when handling heated oils. Use disposable pipettes when dispensing essential oils. Do not place undiluted essential oils in plastic ware. Carefully weigh all ingredients before you start working.
Place a wire rack in the bottom of your pot or skillet and fill with 2-3 inches of water and bring to a simmer on the stovetop.
Step 1 – Heat and hold ingredients
Combine heated oil ingredients in one funnel pitcher and heated aqueous ingredients in a second funnel pitcher. Place funnel pitchers in the pot of water simmering on the stove.
Heat both pitchers to at least 158° F (70° C) and hold for 20 minutes, maintaining the water in the pot at a simmer. Remove the pitchers from the water bath.
Step 2 – Make the Emulsion
Pour the contents of the aqueous pitcher into the oil pitcher. Insert the immersion blender into the combined ingredients. Tap the head of the stick blender to remove any air bubbles. Blend on high speed until a stable emulsion forms and the ingredients are fully mixed, about 1-2 minutes.
Step 3 – Add the Cool Down Ingredients
Allow the mixture to cool until it is below 115° F (45° C).
Hand stir in the preservative, cyclomethicone, natural vitamin E and lavender 40/42 essential oil.
Scrape the lotion into a piping bag or zip top bag. Snip the corner off the bag. Squeeze the lotion into the bottles, cap and enjoy!
For cleanup, wash all containers and utensils with hot, soapy water. Alternatively, use a dishwasher with appropriate detergent. Carefully wipe the tip of the thermometer clean with a paper towel. Do not immerse the thermometer in water.
SHARE ON SOCIAL MEDIA