How to Make Kid’s Shower Poufs
This project is super easy and fun! It can be made with 1-4 children per mold. This recipe is for individual bars so it can be easily multiplied. You can make the bars the same fragrance and color, or they each can be unique.
The age suggestion is 6 years and older, but of course, the younger the child, the more supervision that’s required.
- Difficulty: Beginner
- Yield: 4 Shower Pouf Bars
- Prep Time / Clean Up: 10 Minutes
- Perform Time: 30 Minutes
- Setting Time: 2-4 Hours (or overnight)
- Total Time: 2 Hours, 40 Minutes
- Cutter (can be a crinkle cutter or knife to cut the melt & pour base)
- Cutting Board
- Wax Paper (to cover cutting board)
- Digital Scale
- 4 x Paper Cups or Containers (to melt the base in) (9 oz paper cups were used for this tutorial)
- 4 x Stir Sticks (skinny sticks or popsicle sticks, easily found in the craft section or your local superstore)
- 4 x Pipettes
- 4-Cavity Silicone Circle Mold (A muffin pan will work too. It just needs to be cleaned with isopropyl alcohol. To release your project from the pan, freeze it for a little longer than mentioned below.)
- 4 x Bath and Shower Poufs
- Spray Bottle w/ Isopropyl Alcohol (optional) (here is our recommended bottle and sprayer) (isopropyl alcohol is easily found in the first-aid section of your local supercenter or pharmacy, 91% was used for this tutorial)
- Weights (to hold down shower pouf until melt & pour has set-up)
- Paper Towel(s)
- 14 oz / 397g (3.5 oz / 99 g per bar) Clear Melt & Pour Soap Base (you can use any melt & pour base, but if you use a white base, the soap will be a pastel color)
- 2ml Bath & Body Safe Fragrance Oil or Essential Oil (per bar)
- Water-Soluble Liquid Colorant
- Be sure to read all instructions before starting this project.
- It is necessary to supervise children at all times.
- Before you begin, be sure all surfaces are clean.
- When working with the base, microwave it only enough to melt it. Do not heat it more than necessary. The temperature of the base should not be hot!
Step 1 – Prepare Melt & Pour Base
Cut 14 oz Melt & Pour base into small pieces.
Step 2 – Melt, Fragrance & Color
Put 3.5 oz of cut pieces to a paper cup. Microwave for 15 seconds. Stir and microwave for 7 seconds, and then 5, until barely melted.
Add Fragrance/Essential Oil (if desired) when the base is melted. Use the pipette to add up to 2% of the base or up to 2 mL (each). (It is easiest to figure this amount using grams. Since we are using 99 g of the base, we multiply 99 x .02 to get 2% of the base or 1.98 g (round to 2 g). Two grams is roughly equivalent to 2 mL, so use up to 2 mL.)
Add colorant one drop at a time. We ended up using 3-4 drops per bar.
Stir to incorporate completely.
Step 3 – Pour Soap
Pour base into one cavity. You can pour down your stir stick to avoid a mess.
Spray top of the soap with isopropyl alcohol to pop bubbles if desired.
Step 4 – Place Pouf
Center pouf, and place into melted base.
Put something heavy on top of the pouf and leave it there until the soap has set up.
Step 5 – Repeat
Repeat steps 2-5 until finished.
Don’t move soap until it has hardened (2-4 hours or overnight).
Pop in freezer for 7-10 minutes before unmolding. Break the air-lock in order to get the soap out of the mold.
These are so much fun and simple, so be creative!
Use right away or package in cellophane bags and give away to family & friends.
Enjoy these in the bath or shower. Just lather up the pouf as you normally would. The soap will gradually melt away to leave you with a useful shower pouf to enjoy! ♥
PDF DOWNLOAD FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE
SHARE ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Share this tutorial on Facebook
Tweet about this tutorial