How to Make Lightweight Face Lotion
Our Botanical Hydration Face and Body Mist is a wonderful shortcut you can use to make an elegant facial moisturizer! It is filled with all kinds of wonderful ingredients for skin:
- Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5) – A humectant that also has been shown to be anti-inflammatory
- Sodium PCA – A humectant that is synthesized by the skin as a part of our Natural Moisturizing Factor (NMF)
- Silk Amino Acids – A humectant that can also form a breathable protective film on the skin
- Calendula and chamomile extracts – natural sources of anti-inflammatory and soothing compounds
We’ve formulated this lotion with jojoba oil and hemp seed oil. Jojoba oil is not actually an oil, rather it is a liquid wax that is similar to our skin’s own oils. Hemp seed oil is rich in linoleic and linoleic fatty acids which restore the lipid barrier of our skin. Both oils feel non-greasy and are non-comedogenic. They are suitable for all types of skin. You can substitute any liquid oil of your choice.
We have scented this lotion very lightly with rosemary and tea tree essential oils. There is evidence that rosemary essential oil is anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antibacterial. Tea tree oil has been shown to be antibacterial and antifungal. Feel free to leave this lotion unscented, if you are sensitive to fragrances.
This recipe is emulsified with emulsifying wax, NF – it’s the ingredient that allows the oil and the water to form a stable, emulsified mixture. You cannot substitute beeswax in this recipe. Germaben II is used as a preservative. You must include a preservative in all body products that contain water to prevent bacterial and fungal contamination.
- Difficulty: Intermediate
- Yield: 4 x 4 oz Bottles
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Perform Time: 1 Hour
- Total Time: 1 Hour, 15 Minutes
- Digital Scale
- Immersion Blender
- 2 x Funnel Pitchers
- Large pot or skillet
- Wire Rack to fit inside pot
- Spray Bottle w/ 70% Isopropyl Alcohol
- Pipettes (for preservative and essential oil)
- Paper Towels
- Stovetop or Portable Burner
- Disposable Piping Bag or Zip Top Bag
- 4 x 4 oz Clear Plastic Cosmo Oval Bottles
- 4 x Disc Caps
Heated Oil Ingredients
- 0.42 oz / 12 g Hempseed Oil (4%)
- 0.42 oz / 12 g Jojoba Oil (4%)
- 0.26 oz / 7.5 g Emulsifying Wax, NF (2.5%)
- 0.05 oz / 1.5 g Stearic Acid (0.5%)
Heated Aqueous Ingredients
- 0.21 oz / 6 g Glycerin (2%) (Available at pharmacies)
- 0.21 oz / 6 g Sodium Lactate (2%)
- 1.1 oz / 30 g Aloe vera Juice (10%) (Available in pharmacies. Use unsweetened juice)
- 4.5 oz / 127.5 g Distilled or Deionized Water (42.5%)
Cool Down Ingredients
- 120 g Botanical Hydration Face and Body Mist (30%)
- 2 drops Rosemary Essential Oil (0.15%)
- 2 drops Tea Tree Essential Oil (0.15%)
- 1.5 mL Natural Vitamin E (0.5%)
- 0.1 oz / 3 g Germaben II Preservative (1%)
Before starting this tutorial please make sure to read all instructions. Spray work surface, utensils and funnel pitchers with 70% isopropyl alcohol and wipe with paper towels. Use caution when handling heated oils. Use disposable pipets when dispensing essential oils. Do not place undiluted essential oils in plastic ware. Carefully weigh all ingredients before you start working.
Place wire rack in the bottom of pot or skillet and fill with 2-3 inches of water and bring to a simmer on stovetop.
Step 1 – Heat and hold ingredients
Combine heated oil ingredients in one funnel pitcher and heated aqueous ingredients in a second funnel pitcher. Place funnel pitchers in pot of water simmering on the stove.
Heat both pitchers to at least 158⁰ F (70⁰ C) and hold for 20 minutes, maintaining the water in the pot at a simmer. Remove the pitchers from the water bath.
Step 2 – Make the Emulsion
Pour the contents of the aqueous pitcher into the oil pitcher. Insert the immersion blender into the combined ingredients. Tap the head of the stick blender to remove any air bubbles. Blend on high speed until a stable emulsion forms and the ingredients are fully mixed, about 1-2 minutes.
Step 3 – Add the Cool Down Ingredients
Allow the mixture to cool until it is below 115⁰ F (45⁰ C).
Add the Botanical Hydration Face and Body Mist. Blend on high until the mixture is fully emulsified, 1-2 minutes.
Hand stir in the preservative and the essential oils.
Scrape the lotion into a piping bag or zip top bag. Snip the corner off the bag. Squeeze the lotion into the bottles, cap and enjoy!
For cleanup, wash all containers and utensils with hot, soapy water. Alternatively, use a dishwasher with appropriate detergent. Carefully wipe the tip of the thermometer clean with a paper towel. Do not immerse the thermometer in water.
PDF DOWNLOAD FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE
SHARE ON SOCIAL MEDIA